Thursday, May 14, 2009

Experiment 1: Veggie Breakfast sausage.


So, tonight's experiment is complete. The original recipe is here

First, the prep:

Not pictured is the granny smith apple ^-^ Edits to the initial recipe include: 1/2 cup of rice flour and cornstarch to make up for the fact that a package of kouya dofu only grated up to 1 cup. Also, I reduced the broth to 1/2 cup because of how moist the mix was.



smell while cooking: YUMMY.


Taste: ....too.. sweet? I gave a small bit to the Spouse to try and he confirmed. Considering his definition of "sweet enough" is about 10x what mine is and HE thinks this is too sweet, then ok. time to try and fix.






Edits made for round 2: added another 1/2 cup of beans, coarsely mashed as opposed to the puree. added another 1 tablespoon of Tamari and a tablespoon of dry mustard


cooked up: Much less sweet. Very sausage herby.






Cooked up the rest:

The texture's not right, but I'm going to let them sit in the fridge overnight and reheat a couple for brekkies in the AM.

I think when I try these again, I'll up the beans by another 1/2 cup to start and maybe cut the sage and thyme down by half.

Too strongly flavoured at first, but they do have a pleasant aftertaste. ^__^

3 comments:

  1. this is such a cool blog!! :) hey please go to www.cpmglobalwarming.weebly.com thanks and go to where it says "questions for YOU to answer" thanks and please answer as many as you feel confortable! you dont have to put your email or nothing! just your name it really means alot thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These look great, please let us know if they flavor improved with the overnight rest.
    I have been searching for a vegan GF sausage.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jean: I actually just got done eating one right now! The flavour DID mellow overnight, but not to the degree I hoped. I still think the amount of sage and thyme does need to be cut back.

    That said, I've just been eating them out of hand. I'm going to try one mashed up in a bowl of GF porridge tomorrow and see how it fares with other ingredients.

    Texture's still not... sausagey enough, though. Too soft to have a satisfying bite. It needs more density, somehow. I think for batch 2, I'm going to add a 1/2 cup or more of quinoa to the mix and see if that improves the texture

    ReplyDelete