Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Grilled corn/Savoury Corn Pudding

Oh yeah.

Corn season is upon us with a vengeance here on the eastern seaboard and over the weekend, there were dollar basket-fulls of "short" ears. There's no way in hell I could pass THAT up.

~~
Recently, we've started grilling the corn, and frankly, I don't know why it took me so long to suss this out. Because I am intensely lazy, I don't even shuck the ears first, just bung them in a pot of water to soak for a 1/2 hour+. Afterwords, I put the ears on the grill, turn it up (I have a 4 burner gas grill and turn 2 burners on high) and leave it go for a little bit. Every five minutes or so, come back, open the lid, and turn the ears. Repeat until the outer leaves are dry, crispy and brown.

Inside? Steamed to perfection. :D

~~~
There's only one problem with this, and that's there's only so much grilled corn 2 people can eat. So, faced with some ears that were slowly drying out in the fridge, I searched for something else to do with them.

Enter: Not Eating Out In New York. Cathy had a magnificent corn pudding recipe involving chiles and tomato that set my brain to working overtime. Even better, I had all the ingredients (or very similar to them) already handy!

I cut her recipe back to four ears instead of 8, and subbed 2 hot cherry peppers for the jalapenos, scallions for the shallots, and a couple of dashes of pizza spice for the seasoning.

The result? DELICIOUS. The cherry peppers are hot as hell, though, so be careful if heat is not your thing.

I can't wait to put this in my bento :D

No comments:

Post a Comment